The African Forest Forum is recruiting for the position of a Programme Officer to be based at its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, reporting to the Executive Secretary through the relevant Senior Programme Officer.
Duties and responsibilities:
To assist the Senior Programme Officers in the coordination and implementation of project activities on:
• Managing partnership platforms through which stakeholders identify challenges to sustainable management of forests and trees and co-create solutions;
• Enhancing sustainable management practices to improve resilience of trees and forests to adverse effects of climate change, and up-scale promising approaches that support livelihoods;
• Generating evidence based information to support efforts in forest law enforcement, promotion of good forest governance and fair trade in forest products and services;
• Strengthening the capacity of the private sector in African forestry;
• Collation, synthesis and dissemination of critical information and knowledge to stakeholders through publications in peer reviewed journals, policy briefs, factsheets, working papers and other avenues.
In addition, the Programme Officer should:
• Assist the Senior Programme Officers on any other duties and responsibilities.
• Represent the AFF, on behalf of the Executive Secretary, on matters relating to the above duties, and on any other matters as directed by the Executive Secretary and the Governing Council of AFF.
Qualification and experience:
• Ph.D. in forestry, environment, natural resources management or related area;
• A minimum of 5 years of post masters experience;
• Must have the capacity and demonstrated experience in the application of forest science to the management of natural resources;
• Must be exposed to forestry issues and experiences in at least one African sub-region;
• Must be a good team player;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in French; proficiency in English language will be an added advantage. Applicants from Francophone countries are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Terms of offer:
AFF and ICRAF are equal opportunity employers and offer a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment, and we strongly encourage applications from qualified women. This position is remunerated on regional terms. The appointment will be for an initial period of two (2) years, subject to a nine (9) months’ probation period.
How to apply:
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications and experience should email their CVs and cover letter to HumanResources@cgiar.org , not later than 25th May 2018. Please attach your cover letter and CV/Resume (as one document – labelled with your First Name and Last Name) with the positions title as the subject line of the email. Only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.